The small package size also makes the food deceptively expensive. 1 euro 75 for a package of meat? Sounds cheap, but what if I bought 3/4 pound like I usually do at home in the US? That's almost 8 euros which is nearly $10. 1 euro 29 for a liter of milk is more than $6/gallon.
Incidentally, we are all ravenous all the time here. I walk miles each day and climb up and down from the fourth floor multiple times. We are all using our brains extra hard to learn and understand, which I'm positive must burn tons of calories. So I feel like the kids are constantly eating and I need at least one daily snack. Thank goodness lunch is provided for them at school, because between breakfast, a morning snack at school, a snack/mini meal when they get home from school, and dinner we are plowing through tons of food.
It's hard to know what to feed everyone in between meals. Sometimes I got weary with providing snacks even in the US, but I had a list of 10 or so snacks we could rotate between. Here the food is so different that snacks are a bit of an enigma. Plus, the kids' school is completely nut free, so that eliminates MANY possible snacks. If I send them with one of the tiny granola bars it doesn't even make a dent in their hunger. Fruit is a staple for us and the kids like it, but we shipped all our small tupperwares that are snack-sized so there's nothing to put cut fruit in. I need to break down and buy some small plastic bins but haven't gotten around to that yet. The kids love yogurt but I haven't yet found a brand here that they will eat. I have cheese and deli meat but also haven't found any crackers they will eat. Maybe I could make some homemade banana bread or muffins for snack? Nope, no baking supplies in our rental. I found a tiny bag of Goldfish in one store that is quite out of my way, so maybe I'll trek there tomorrow. Suggestions welcome for snack ideas! I asked Haley's teacher for ideas of what the other kids are bringing but she wasn't entirely helpful.
| World's smallest and most worthless granola bar |
No comments:
Post a Comment