Saturday, July 2, 2016

July 2nd Roundup

Just one blog post in June - that is anaemic, I apologize! There is always so much going on and so little time to write about it. I have a whole list of June adventures that I hope to blog about this summer when there is more time (will there be more time???) A birthday trip, International Day, AWC outings, a trip to Poland, and more.

Putting aside what has been happening, here is what's happening now.

Carter receives his certificate. He's shaking hands with his
teacher while the primary school principal looks on.
Yesterday was Carter's 5th grade graduation ceremony. It was really nice. Each child was called by name and received a certificate, and each child had the opportunity to say a quote. Carter chose the quote "Give a man a fish and he eats for a day; teach a man to fish and he eats for a lifetime." They also had a musical performance where they sang and played the recorder. We went out to eat last night at a restaurant of Carter's choice to celebrate.

Carter has really loved his teacher, Mr. Campbell.
He is from Scotland and has taught the kids
about haggis, Scottish phrases, and some
Scottish history. He plays the bagpipes and
performs magic shows and is generally popular
with most kids.   

After graduation


Next Wednesday is actually the last day of school but Carter's last day was yesterday because he is leaving today to go to Boy Scout camp in Switzerland. A week in the Swiss Alps! I can't tell if he's excited, probably he's nervous, but I know he's going to have a great time. His troop leaves tonight on an overnight train to Kandersteg. I just looked at the forecast and there is a good chance of rain almost every day. I hope the weather is better than predicted!

While Carter's at camp, Haley will wind down the school year ending with just a half day on Wednesday. She'll take advantage of Carter's absence to have a sleepover with a friend next Friday when they'll have the house, trampoline, TV, etc. all to themselves! Carter gets back next Saturday and we'll have five lazy summer days before we head for our summer trip to Greece!

Jami and Sarah's final Friday run with us
Part of the ex-patriot experience is that people are always coming and going. Last year we had to say goodbye to our new best friends in Berlin, the Olsens. This year a boy who has been Carter's good friend all year long, Shahmeer, is leaving, and so is another boy he has gotten to be friends with recently. I am losing two great girls from my Friday running group. It's sad not to be able to see what kind of friendship would develop over the years with more and more shared experiences, but I have decided that the best thing to do is to be thankful for the times that we did have together.

That's it for now. It's now close to 11:30 p.m. and I'm watching the 2nd overtime in the Germany vs. Italy Eurocup quarterfinals. Diablo is hiding in the bathroom because people shoot off fireworks when Germany scores (just once so far this game) and after the end of each period. There will be fireworks all over for a half hour after the game if they win!

No comments:

Post a Comment